Thursday, January 8, 2009

Sexual Harrassment: What Is It Really?

Hello All. I had a very interesting encounter with a co-worker the other day that made me feel uncomfortable. It's so weird because it was his second day at work and the first time he has ever saw me and he hit me on the behind with a Christmas Tree branch. He is apart of our janitorial staff and he was over taking down our holiday decorations.

Now, I know some people will say: SUE, SUE, SUE. I am not trying to get anyone in trouble, I am just merely trying to put someone in their place without them losing their job and without me losing my job because I know how to curse someone out really well.

Someone who I consider very wise once told me that sexual harrassment is basically sexual advances from someone that you don't like. I had to think about this because I have in the past (not anymore, it's a whole different story that I will post one day) dated two people I've worked with and they pretty much approached me the same way this guy did, well to be honest with you, this guy is very confrontal and in your face, so I will retract that statement.

I just want to know how other people see the situation. I know there are several things considered sexual harrassment, but here are just two for example:

1. Quid Pro Quo- Basically, if you sleep w/me, you can have a raise or promotion, etc. (I am definitely against this type of harrassment and I will SUE if this ever happened to me.

2. Overhearing Offensive Language/Conversation- Basically you can be eating in the cafeteria and if you happen to overhear some of your co-workers talking about their weekend dates even though the conversation was meant for just them, if you are offended, guess what? That's sexual harrassment!!!!! ( I can't say I totally agree with this)

I just had a reflection while typing this blog and I asked myself to be honest to myself, afterall sometimes the hardest person to tell the truth to is yourself. I don't want to be tapped on my butt at work even if I am dating you.

Question: Do you think the term sexual harrassment depends on whether you like the person or not? What's Your Opinion?

1 comment:

  1. Yikes, that is very rude, sexual and unprofessional. I have never been a victim of sexual harassment to that extent with an actual touch to my hind, good garsh No!!! That's deep and messed up, do what you have to do my fear would be him doing something similar again.

    ReplyDelete